The culture of using business card holders
Business etiquette is clean savoir-vivre relationships between people sharing common interests. The culture of using business cards dates back to the 15th century, when the first handmade business cards appeared. In Europe, business cards became popular in modern times, in France during the reign of Louis XIV, where they were an attribute of the aristocracy.
The use of business cards and business card holders is a business culture, which is a broad concept relating to human behavior in business situations. Today it is an element of business promotion. It covers principles and appropriate behavior in social life and the application of these principles in broadly understood professional life.
Business card exchange etiquette
The art of exchanging business cards is the awareness of both cultural differences and the customs of the market in which we want to promote our business. Getting to know them will certainly make it easier for us to navigate the international business environment. With them in mind, we choose the appropriate communication style, which may change depending on who we are discussing with. Using business card holders is an elegant brand building tool and is an element of making a good first impression on the recipient when handing over your business card.
Business etiquette includes three ways of telling when to hand out a business card:
-at the beginning of the meeting,
-during the meeting,
-at the end of the meeting.
What to pay attention to when exchanging business cards:
- We hand out the business card legibly so that the recipient can read it correctly.
- We do not ask for additional information that is not on the business card, lack of data when the person giving it does not offer to supplement it, is not in good tone.
- We do not hand out business cards to a higher-ranking person, we just wait for a precedent-setting initiative.
- We refrain from making comments, even if in our opinion we have received an extremely unattractive business card.
- Discretion is important when exchanging business cards, because it is not an activity that requires ostentatious gestures, but thanks and attention. We show respect to the interlocutor who gives us a business card by briefly looking at the card and then placing it in the business card holder.
- In some cultures, giving business cards is a ritual. In Asia, particular importance is attached to the exchange of elegant cardboard boxes. In their culture, it is important to give and receive a business card in two hands, additionally combined with a bow.
- If you receive a simple, classic business card, without extensive information or advertising slogans, a good way to remember it is to include handwritten notes about the person and the institution it represents before placing the received cards in the business card holder.
- We do not show off or exchange business cards while eating at the table; if the meeting takes place with refreshments, an aperitif will be a good moment.
- A business card holder is a very important element of prestige and caring for one’s image as a person who respects his business partners. The business card holder comes in two types: a small case for your own business cards and a “book” version for business cards received from others. The first one is especially useful because we can carry it with us, which allows us to protect business cards against damage and, in addition, always have a supply of them.
- If during the meeting we temporarily store in such business card holder business cards received from others, we should immediately put them in the appropriate place after the meeting, because we may expose ourselves to the risk of giving it as our own the next time.
The history of business cards and business card holders
In 15th century China, business cards were calligraphed on silk or rice paper. In the early days of handing them out, medieval officials were obliged to use paper boxes containing their data. The history of business cards in Europe most likely it begins with the sea traveler Marco Polo bringing the idea for this custom, which became increasingly popular in France and Italy.
At first, they were used in aristocratic circles as visiting cards and to announce your visit by sending a messenger with a business card. Upon arrival, a lady was obliged to hand over her business card to the hostess.
Business cards were made on white cardboard, with the name and surname written by hand and often decorated with a drawing commissioned from the artist or another form of graphics. Creating a business card with a photo was expensive. He was a pioneer of photographic business cards in France André Adolphe Eugène Disdéri. The history of creating business cards is also related to printing. In Germany in the 18th century, business cards were created in various techniques:
Advertising business cards began to be used in the late 19th century in the USA and then the marketing aspect of using a business card became more important. See what the store has to offer in this regard Luxury Products.
The first impression made on the contractor often determines the successful completion of the transaction, which is why presence in the business world is so important. Starting from business card holders and business cards, to office accessories and savoir vivre. A professional office is a multifunctional room that must be representative and functional at the same time. When choosing items for the office, you should pay attention to the consistency of the message you want to communicate using the elements of your image.
The use of business functions is based on giving the contractor a business card, which contains contact details and constitutes our image. Nowadays, business functions are the main use of these cartons to create a brand and business relationships. The art of exchanging business cards requires sensitivity and an individual approach and depends on the specific situation. It is difficult to assume that any moment will be completely inappropriate, but it is worth considering it so as not to commit a faux pas.
An additional advantage in terms of appearance is that they are properly selected business elements, such as a portable business card holder that will be useful for business meetings and office equipment appropriate to the type of business we run. Business accessories are also included great gift idea for people involved in business and wanting to effectively create their image.